Court Rivals Forums

An open forum to discuss issues related to Court Rivals!

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-09 05:02:17

mystic
Accomplishments: 0
PM

Season ending tournament

I just wrote an email to Kaz to suggest the following season ending tournament to replace the current playoff format:

Let the people play out a tournament instead of the short playoffs without having the chance to train their players further? Lets say a 5 day tournament at the end?

1 day: best 32 teams in a qualifying playoffs for the tournament to bring that down to 16 teams. Then devide those 16 teams into two groups 8 teams with regular season ranking determining who is where. Meaning, rank all 16 teams according to their regular season ranking points from best to worst, then go with:
Group A: #1, #4, #5, #8, #9, #12, #13, #16
Group B: #2, #3, #6, #7, #10, #11, #14, #15

In that way you have two rather equally strong groups. Then play out games against each other, which would equate to 7 games per team. One game on the first day, then two games on each of the following 3 days.
On day 5 you have a Final 4 with the best two teams of those tournament groups are playing out the overall champion, the next two from each group then the places 5 to 8, the next two then places 9 to 12, the last two places 13 to 16. Give every team an "award" depending on their respective final place of the season with an appropiate bonus for Leadership.

Last days final fours would start with:

Group A 1st vs. Group B 2nd
Group B 1st vs. Group A 2nd

The winners play the finals, loser play out the 3rd place.

then

Group A 3rd vs. Group B 4th
Group B 3rd vs. Group A 4th

The winners would play out the 5th place, the losers the 7th place.

And so on. That would give 16 teams something to play for over a 5 day span.

You can do the same for the losing 16 teams from the 1st day, which then would give 32 teams something to play for over a 5 day span. If you want to raise that to 64 teams, then let the teams #33 to 64 play out the stuff in the same fashion like #1 to #32.

The clue here would be that all teams would have like 40 days to prepare for those 5 days while seeing the result of that in a competitive tournament over a 5 day span. No further training would be allowed during those 5 days.

Opinions?

Last edited by mystic (2013-02-09 05:04:39)

The Baltimore Bullets (S4 - S17): 395-210 RS record; 38-13 PS record; Runner-up in S 7, 13, 16, 17; Elite 8 in S 6, 9, 10, 12, 15; Pro A/B from S 6 to 17
Thanks bhill1767, Blowcaine, FastAsATurtle, fresh_tacos, Funk, Harbour, jbus, Lord Rott, marv88harrison, mchea, pat_mac05, redundant, rippev, team rohan, tesche, tmoney20, tsb5026, UCFinfan86, x-factor

#2 2013-02-09 06:57:23

jrwafu
Wafusi Jr
The Great Pretenders
Accomplishments: 58
PM  Website

Re: Season ending tournament

i like it. this is +1000 fun.

but i think, training should still be around during those 5 days.

http://www.courtrivals.com/images/sigs/30330.jpg
Public Enemies s37,41 champs 2rings | A Piece Of Art S33,34,36,40 champs 4rings
The Great Pretenders S25,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,40,41,42 champs 12rings

#3 2013-02-09 07:32:50

mystic
PM

Well, one of the issues is that we train up our players just to see the result of that for one or two games at best (if you are lucky enough to be on those Final 4 teams). If training would be allowed, the same issue would be there again.
Another twist would be, to allowed training, but increase the training times for that period. Maybe double the time needed to finish training an attribute. I think it is important to see the team playing on a certain level for an extended period of time.

The Baltimore Bullets (S4 - S17): 395-210 RS record; 38-13 PS record; Runner-up in S 7, 13, 16, 17; Elite 8 in S 6, 9, 10, 12, 15; Pro A/B from S 6 to 17
Thanks bhill1767, Blowcaine, FastAsATurtle, fresh_tacos, Funk, Harbour, jbus, Lord Rott, marv88harrison, mchea, pat_mac05, redundant, rippev, team rohan, tesche, tmoney20, tsb5026, UCFinfan86, x-factor

#4 2013-02-09 08:10:47

Tizzom
Seth Rogan
This Is The End
PM

I was thinking at work the other night the playoffs do need to be trimmed down a bit because we do not have the competitive teams to carry out a true 64 team tournament in each league (excluding west). It crossed my mind that maybe we should cut it down to the amount West has. But when, or if, we start to build this game back up again we have to try some new things out and a new different style of tournament at the end could help some.

The only thing is I am a little weary about not training, or increased training, during the tournament time. I understand where you are coming from but just like in the pros just because it is playoff time doesn't mean they still don't practice.

#5 2013-02-09 08:41:48

naptownplayers
Allison "Three Eye" Stokke
Medico Legal
Accomplishments: 79
PM

+1 I Like

http://www.courtrivals.com/images/sigs/13012.jpg

#6 2013-02-09 08:45:22

mystic
PM

They practice, but they don't really put much effort into developing skills, but rather team chemistry and tactics. If you need to train in order to stay on the level, that would also be appropiate, but one of the big concerns is always that you train up your player and once he reached his highest level the rollback will throw him back. In reallife you are organizing your training in a way so that you be at your best during a certain amount of time. Once you reached that plateau, you will stay there for a stretch. On CR we completely miss out on that plateau time span. The ability to see what your 40 days of training was worth for more than one or two games is important for longterm motivation. There are a lot of users training up their players to see them lose a game on the 2nd day of the playoffs. What is the result? Well 43 days of training for nothing and then start over again?

If everyone would see his 40 days training effort equate to something during such a tournament (all players would have 10 games!) and would know at the end, I was on the 18th best team that season or 27th or whatever. Right now, if you are out of the playoffs before the Final 4, the season was for nothing (especially when you don't win an award). And that is something else here to consider, such tournament would give the opportunity for some other awards as well. People want to see their efforts rewarded, the current system basically only rewards those few award winners and the final 4 participants. That is not enough to fill a field of 30 or more competitive teams in the longrun.

#7 2013-02-09 09:10:12

C Rain
PM

naptownplayers wrote:

+1 I Like

#8 2013-02-09 12:44:36

dkaki
King "Slammin" James
Forensic Experts
Accomplishments: 43
PM

good idea changing up the format

but the initial idea was to trim down the awards not increase them or are you saying that these awards have no bonuses

unless rollback numbers decrease then i say training should be allowed

Last edited by dkaki (2013-02-09 12:46:40)

http://www.courtrivals.com/images/sigs/25491.jpg

#9 2013-02-09 15:36:05

mystic
PM

dkaki wrote:

but the initial idea was to trim down the awards not increase them or are you saying that these awards have no bonuses

The intial idea was to trim down the bonuses for the awards, not the awards itself. It is important that there are enough awards given out, because awards make the user feel special.

dkaki wrote:

unless rollback numbers decrease then i say training should be allowed

The important point is that we all are training our players up and when he finally reaches his peak, the rollback is taking all that away. We don't see enough of our result of the trainings effort. If we can see for a longer stretch what our 40 days of training was worth, we are more motivated the next season. And especially can get a better idea of how to improve that. Right now teams are losing one game in the playoffs and don't really know why they lost, because there is no consistent result seen for us.

If during that stretch training is required to keep that level, I think it is such a bad idea.

Also, keep in mind that the increased Endurance makes up for a part of that loss in trainings time. If the starting training time for Endurance would be reduced (by 2 hours for example) as well, that would make up another part.

#10 2013-02-09 16:00:15

dkaki
King "Slammin" James
Forensic Experts
PM

yes i get it but the change in endurance would be pretty much pointless if we decrease the number of training days. The endurance complaint was made because we felt it took away our days when we should be improving main attributes instead of endurance. and now you are suggesting that we decrease training days because endurance was raised? i don't get it.. .please do explain

If too many awards are given then the awards themselves lose their place as "special"

#11 2013-02-09 16:16:04

mystic
PM

dkaki wrote:

The endurance complaint was made because we felt it took away our days when we should be improving main attributes instead of endurance.

No, the change was felt necessary, because training Endurance is boring. That is the point of the increased Endurance, not that "valuable" trainings days are taken away. I bet nobody would complain, if the season would be reduced to 30 days while Endurance would start with 30 as well. The issue is that you wait days without training while your player is weak. On the other hand you have a strong player trained and the rollback is taking you back to the boring Endurance training. That cycle is making the game unapealing in the longrun. Make it the other way around, start high in Endurance, train your player up and then see your player perform at the desired level for some time.

dkaki wrote:

If too many awards are given then the awards themselves lose their place as "special"

Not really. There are always players who would deserve awards as well. Really, there aren't too many awards.

#12 2013-02-09 16:59:47

dkaki
King "Slammin" James
Forensic Experts
PM

well I'm guessing you have not taken other people's thoughts into account. the one who first suggested the increase in endurance had something different in mind. and what you're telling me now is different. It was suggested to increase endurance and change the award bonuses to further "level" the playing field.

And yes people would complain that the season was too short. We all play this game for different reasons so one reasoning is never above any other. The way you make it sound is like what you want is what's best for the game and that it's what everyone should want as well. You want the season shortened while i want it prolonged. There is already a difference in that itself. The only thing we have common ground on is that yes the endurance training is boring.

Regarding the playoffs the reason why i suggested training be allowed is that playoff time should be lengthened. each set of teams should win 2/3 games to proceed to the next game. Single set elimination. This would leave players with a chance to train AND think of another strategy .Wouldn't this make the game more exciting?

And yes there is such a thing as too many awards. When awards are given to the majority then they are not awards. What's the point of the tourney if everyone gets a trophy? plus it would just look like spam on our characters and teams page.

Last edited by dkaki (2013-02-09 17:01:59)

#13 2013-02-09 19:02:45

mystic
PM

dkaki wrote:

It was suggested to increase endurance and change the award bonuses to further "level" the playing field.

Leveling the playing field != complaining about a shortage of "real" training time. wink

dkaki wrote:

And yes people would complain that the season was too short.

Why?

dkaki wrote:

We all play this game for different reasons so one reasoning is never above any other. The way you make it sound is like what you want is what's best for the game and that it's what everyone should want as well. You want the season shortened while i want it prolonged.

Honestly, you really should start reading and comprehending things written. I get more and more the feeling that you are arguing against something which I never said. No, I don't want the season to be shortened, I just said that nobody would complain, when the same amount of achievable total trained points are reached within a shorter time period. Why should someone complain, when he can train his player up to 1000 tp in 30 days instead of in 40? What is the loss here? Do you honestly believe that the majority is happy about the rollback, because that means they can again start training their players for 45 days?

dkaki wrote:

The only thing we have common ground on is that yes the endurance training is boring.

Indeed, and that is the main reason for the suggestion to increase the Endurance. No idea what else was in your mind, but that was talked about like 30 seasons ago already and nobody brought up that increased Endurance would mean that more time for "real" training would be there. I bet the majority at that time would have picked 40 days and 30 in Endurance at the start over 45 days and 10 in Endurance.

dkaki wrote:

Regarding the playoffs the reason why i suggested training be allowed is that playoff time should be lengthened. each set of teams should win 2/3 games to proceed to the next game. Single set elimination. This would leave players with a chance to train AND think of another strategy .Wouldn't this make the game more exciting?

I don't see the benefit at all here. The thing is that the current setting is 44 days of training your player for one simmed game (I borrowed that expression from Kaz, btw.), if training is allowed, the same thing happens again. If you are building up your team for 40 days, you should have several strategic options in mind and the winner at the end is determined by training over 40 days and the ability to handle those trained players in a tournament the right way.

How much can you train within 3 days to really change the team strategy? Seriously, if you try to accomplish something with training during the playoffs which you couldn't get done before, you likely don't have much of a chance anyway.

dkaki wrote:

And yes there is such a thing as too many awards. When awards are given to the majority then they are not awards. What's the point of the tourney if everyone gets a trophy? plus it would just look like spam on our characters and teams page.

Nobody is talking about "giving everyone an award", but believe me the main reason for multiple users to leave that game was the lack of reward for their efforts. Some stayed, because they really wanted to win that championship, but those are very few. The most people want to play a game and want to see at least a little bit of an reward, especially when you pay for that game as well. But I guess you are exciting since 2009 by just being able to "real train" your player/s?

Last edited by mystic (2013-02-09 19:05:53)

#14 2013-02-09 20:00:18

MenZ
Saturn Ascends
PM

dkaki wrote:

well I'm guessing you have not taken other people's thoughts into account. the one who first suggested the increase in endurance had something different in mind. and what you're telling me now is different.

I believe I was the first (or, at the very least, one of the first) to suggest raising the starting endurance when this discussion began just a few days ago. I don't appreciate you putting words into my mouth regarding this matter.

Evil Empire
First Team - Season 30, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 38, 41 | Second Team - Season 31, 34, 37, 38, 40, 41
DPoY - Season 34 | All Defense - Season 29, 30, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 41 | Playoff MVP - Season 39
Champion - Season 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 38 - TGP | Season 35 - We Hunt for Naked Girls | Season 37 - Public Enemies | Season 38, 39 - High Hopes

#15 2013-02-09 22:40:15

dkaki
King "Slammin" James
Forensic Experts
PM

mystic wrote:

Leveling the playing field != complaining about a shortage of "real" training time. wink

real training time will be increased next season right? the thing i don't get is real training time gets increased, and now you want to cut it back to 40 again?

mystic wrote:

Why?

what about those who don't get into the playoffs? then their day would end at 40?

mystic wrote:

Honestly, you really should start reading and comprehending things written. I get more and more the feeling that you are arguing against something which I never said. No, I don't want the season to be shortened, I just said that nobody would complain, when the same amount of achievable total trained points are reached within a shorter time period. Why should someone complain, when he can train his player up to 1000 tp in 30 days instead of in 40? What is the loss here? Do you honestly believe that the majority is happy about the rollback, because that means they can again start training their players for 45 days?

if you think i'm trying to argue with you then completely not my intention. I understand you are trying to help the game and that's why I am asking how these ideas will improve the game(just tryin to learn). one of the reasons why i don't like the idea is that now that we are gonna start with 20 endurance we finally get to see our players improve over the seasons even with the roll back. Those 5 training days could be used to raise a tertiary attribute. so the target isn't really just 1000tp anymore.

mystic wrote:

Indeed, and that is the main reason for the suggestion to increase the Endurance. No idea what else was in your mind, but that was talked about like 30 seasons ago already and nobody brought up that increased Endurance would mean that more time for "real" training would be there. I bet the majority at that time would have picked 40 days and 30 in Endurance at the start over 45 days and 10 in Endurance.

i don't get it

mystic wrote:

] I don't see the benefit at all here. The thing is that the current setting is 44 days of training your player for one simmed game (I borrowed that expression from Kaz, btw.), if training is allowed, the same thing happens again. If you are building up your team for 40 days, you should have several strategic options in mind and the winner at the end is determined by training over 40 days and the ability to handle those trained players in a tournament the right way.

How much can you train within 3 days to really change the team strategy? Seriously, if you try to accomplish something with training during the playoffs which you couldn't get done before, you likely don't have much of a chance anyway.

i said and. I didn't mean for there to be any connection between the training and changing up strategy. e.g .2 teams

team a = 7k tp
team b = 7.1k tp

there would be a chance for team a to win if their strategy fits against team b's strategy right? if team a does win , wouldn't it be good if team b also had the chance to change up strategy and TSP so they can beat team a? like nba style playoffs but instead of a best of 7 its best of 3

mystic wrote:

Nobody is talking about "giving everyone an award", but believe me the main reason for multiple users to leave that game was the lack of reward for their efforts. Some stayed, because they really wanted to win that championship, but those are very few. The most people want to play a game and want to see at least a little bit of an reward, especially when you pay for that game as well. But I guess you are exciting since 2009 by just being able to "real train" your player/s?

yeah i love basketball. and being able to "real train" my players is really all the fun i need. so forgive me if i can't sympathize with those who are chasing after awards sad

Last edited by dkaki (2013-02-09 23:06:56)

#16 2013-02-09 23:41:49

crothers
Lyle Lanley
Globex Corporation
Accomplishments: 68
PM

i like the idea,

also i agree with mystic again, i enjoy receiving awards on my players, in fact it's what i play for, the fact is i consider a championship the pen-ultimate prize to play offs MVP.
so i obviously want my teams do to well.... smile
so people still want to chase championships over everything else but only 10 players get championships and many other players are left feeling a bit disheartened by it all, why not throw them a bone in the way of a 2nd team or something... smile

#17 2013-02-10 00:03:30

dkaki
King "Slammin" James
Forensic Experts
PM

there's already a 2nd team right'?

#18 2013-02-10 00:04:59

crothers
Lyle Lanley
Globex Corporation
Accomplishments: 68
PM

dkaki wrote:

there's already a 2nd team right'?

yeah i was using an example smile

#19 2013-02-10 00:06:37

dkaki
King "Slammin" James
Forensic Experts
PM

man, 2nd team is more than enough already. well if that's what you want then i can't change that

but the way i see it winners get awards that's how i've always known it to be

#20 2013-02-10 00:14:22

jrwafu
Wafusi Jr
The Great Pretenders
PM  Website

the only thing im not in favor with this is the no more training after 40 days.

i think kaz should consider this idea, or he must do it. haha

http://www.courtrivals.com/images/sigs/30330.jpg
Public Enemies s37,41 champs 2rings | A Piece Of Art S33,34,36,40 champs 4rings
The Great Pretenders S25,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,40,41,42 champs 12rings

#21 2013-02-10 00:20:48

dkaki
King "Slammin" James
Forensic Experts
PM

same here i agree with a lot of what mystic says minus the no training part

#22 2013-02-10 05:02:28

mystic
PM

dkaki wrote:

real training time will be increased next season right? the thing i don't get is real training time gets increased, and now you want to cut it back to 40 again?

The main goal is not to cut the trainings time back, but to actually have a time span where everyone can see their players perform at the respective peak level for the season. Right now that is not the case. If it makes you feel better, I can add that the days for the season should be increased to 49 (that makes 7 weeks per season and would allow a nice schedule were the finals are always on the weekend).

I really think that a vital part of a successful game is the ability to see your player perform at peak level for more than a game. If training would be allowed normally, it would be the same setting as it is right now.

I understand where you coming from, that you still want to make chances during that time. And yeah, some minor changes might be feasible for everyone. If the trainings time during that stretch is increased or you can train your player while just shifting points around instead of increasing the load (meaning, you can't increase the two top attributes over the amoount of points they had on the first day of that tournament, but you can decrease it and then get it back to the same amount), I'm all for it. But even in reality NOBODY is training up to improve upon the level they have, because usually such training requires rest periods in which your performance level is decreased. The real teams are using practice to gain chemistry and tactical stuff across, they training is limited to the point where they just trying to keep that level. That is how it works.
Making CR similar to the reality will increase the motivation for the majority, I guess. And if I understand Kaz correctly, he actually isn't happy about the current setting with training your player up for 44 days for one simmed game. Those are his words. I just picked that up and offered a possible solution.

Some might not like that, but in that case offer an argument for why it should be bad or worse than it is today. Don't you see the possibilty here to encourage more people to play? And that is my whole motivation, I want that game to thrive, because I can see potential in it. A few tweaks here and there and it could be more successful.

dkaki wrote:

what about those who don't get into the playoffs? then their day would end at 40?

With the setting I described all teams would play 10 games during that period. No team would be per se out. There are teams not qualified for the big price, but every team would be in the same tournament structure playing out their respective placing for the respective season. Whether they play for the championship, the 17th place, the 33th place or whatever, but all teams would have 10 games to play until the season ends after the training stopped. That is a key element to me, because in that way everyone will play for something and can feel like a little winner at least. The big price will obviously again go to the best team.

dkaki wrote:

if you think i'm trying to argue with you then completely not my intention. I understand you are trying to help the game and that's why I am asking how these ideas will improve the game(just tryin to learn). one of the reasons why i don't like the idea is that now that we are gonna start with 20 endurance we finally get to see our players improve over the seasons even with the roll back. Those 5 training days could be used to raise a tertiary attribute. so the target isn't really just 1000tp anymore.

My player improved over the last seasons from season to season, the main was higher from season to season and the total trained points as well (granted, last season just one more tp than the season before sad).
With the change to the chem/speciality multiplier, it should be possible for basically everyone, just that they likely have to pick a lower main. But if you are concerned about the chance, tweaks to the system I proposed can be made.

dkaki wrote:

i don't get it

Ok, maybe you don't get it, because you haven't had the experience as a captain, co-captain or major influence on teams with a lot of different users, but usually the users wanted to see: stats for their players, success for the team. In one way or the other, nobody had the priority that they wanted as many days as possible to train their players only to see the peak level player go back via rollback (well, except of turtle in his first season probably, who managed to train up his player's endurance to 40+ (without premium that was), because he hadn't taken into account that the Endurance would get back to 10 after the rollback), but usually the users wanted to be on a successful team and have a player who generates stats. I go by this: How can every see their players perform at peak level for an extended time period? Well, make a tournament at the end of the season and don't allow training during that time. Every player keeps his level, everyone can see how much his training was worth and can learn more things to improve upon this next season. That is my thought process here.

Right now, with the current setting, everyone trains up their players and then it is over, while the player goes back to a lower level via rollback. In fact, the majority of users will not see their players at peak level performing in a competitive game. Whether their reach that peak level after 30 days or 40 days or 50 days doesn't matter much, because if you currently don't win an award or be on a final 4 team, you are basically end the season knowing that you just wasted 45 days without accomplishing anything. That might be fun for a while, but in the end people will lose motivation. And believe me, more people would like to see wasting their time cut down to 30 days instead of having to know that it was 45 days. No idea, but that sounds pretty logical to me.

dkaki wrote:

there would be a chance for team a to win if their strategy fits against team b's strategy right? if team a does win , wouldn't it be good if team b also had the chance to change up strategy and TSP so they can beat team a? like nba style playoffs but instead of a best of 7 its best of 3

I'm not denying that, but that has little influence on my suggestion.

dkaki wrote:

yeah i love basketball. and being able to "real train" my players is really all the fun i need. so forgive me if i can't sympathize with those who are chasing after awards sad

Ok, that is good for you, but believe me, you are in the minority. Most people are not thinking like that. I had my fair share of teammates and I know what they liked and not. People, even successful once, stopped playing, because of the cycles that game produced. People usually don't like to go around in circles, and for the most people even winning that way isn't helping their longterm motivation. Breaking such circles at least for a certain time might be do the trick here.

I hope I clarified some of the questions. And I really want to make sure that my main motivation to write up those stuff is that I want to see that game improved and more people to play (which should be in the interest of Kaz as well).

#23 2013-02-14 14:43:42

dkaki
King "Slammin" James
Forensic Experts
PM

i wonder if it would help to have a chat engine here

#24 2013-06-08 06:52:24

mystic
PM

I still like my idea! smile

Board footer