Court Rivals Forums

An open forum to discuss issues related to Court Rivals!

You are not logged in.

#26 2009-04-13 19:32:02

OctaneHugo
stabmaster "Three Eye" arson
michele bachmann fan club
Accomplishments: 21
PM

Re: Suggest an Accomplishment

marv88harrison wrote:

OctaneHugo wrote:

Detroit Lions - Lose 95% of your games in one season (minimum 25 games). (+1)

You would need a minimum number of games played so a team doesn't qualify by losing their first game and the season ends

fix't.

#27 2009-04-13 19:40:57

eggrolls133
Lola Bunny
Acme Acres Retirement Home
Accomplishments: 35
PM

Tesche wrote:

RobNJ564 wrote:

Hometown Hero:   Play five full seasons consecutively with the same team

Hometown Legend:  Play ten full seasons consecutively with the same team

These are great! 
I'd say value these at 2pts and 4 respectively.

Shucks, I left the Toon Squad last season so I could give them a chance to prosper while the other original members and I slowed our play down a bit.  This would have been my 5th consecutive season, but now it's going to be my 1st...

My Greatest CR Accomplishment: http://www.courtrivals.com/forums/viewt … p?id=98485
"The whole gimmick of the Toon Squad is cute smile"~Bgirl
"Don't ever call me doll."
PROUD CAPTAIN & CO-FOUNDER OF THE TOON SQUAD

#28 2009-04-14 01:45:26

marv88harrison
Al Michaels
Retired Bullets
Accomplishments: 30
PM  Website

How are 50 triple doubles and 100 triple doubles worth the same? 50 should be a high number and 100 should be some ridiculously obnoxious gold star. Seriously who will ever get that? Even if some of the top TP guys went down to playground to get this and averaged lets say 10 a season (probably still high) it would take them 10 seasons. If anyone is willing to train their player enough to get 10 triple doubles a season but keep them on a bad enough team to stay in playground for over a year (45 * 10 = 450 days) then they should get two things 1) as stated before, some ridiculously obnoxious gold star and 2) a CAT scan

Al Michaels | The Baltimore Bullets
Mike Carey | Candy Trafficking Task Force

#29 2009-04-14 01:51:54

chekreyes
Accomplishments: 0
PM  Website

Jdog2313 wrote:

Accomplishment Title - No Pain, No Gain
Accomplishment Description - Attempt zero free throws in one game
Accomplishment Value - +1

Great thought. too common.

Season 21 Jordan MVP
Two-time West League runner up, co-owner

#30 2009-04-14 01:52:25

chekreyes
PM  Website

RobNJ564 wrote:

Hometown Hero:   Play five full seasons consecutively with the same team

Hometown Legend:  Play ten full seasons consecutively with the same team

+1

Season 21 Jordan MVP

#31 2009-04-14 01:54:27

chekreyes
PM  Website

Renomitsu wrote:

It's Not Your Fault: Kicked off of five or more teams after being on them for at least twenty games

Take a Day Off: Banned from the forums at least twice for a day (this could be negative value)

Ha! I love it. I'm half way there!

Problem though... being banned is a "user" accomplishment and what was implemented is "player" accomplishments.

Season 21 Jordan MVP

#32 2009-04-14 01:59:25

chekreyes
PM  Website

Moose wrote:

All Heart
Win a game while down 10 pts start of the 4th Qtr.

I'm guessing that things like this as well as things like "make a buzzer beater to win" would be very difficult, if not impossible. The play by play is really just a random display of rigamaroll for results that were decided in 2 seconds.

Kaz?

Last edited by chekreyes (2009-04-14 01:59:56)

Season 21 Jordan MVP

#33 2009-04-14 02:01:03

marv88harrison
Al Michaels
Retired Bullets
PM  Website

RobNJ564 wrote:

Subjective Forum-Based Accomplishments. . .chosen by mods (perhaps periodically)

Information Society - for providing valuable contributions to the General forum (newbie help, being marvharrison, etc.)

Media Mogul - for providing valuable contributions to the Media forum (the top ten list guys, the radio show guys, etc.)

Trivial Pursuit - for providing valuable contributions to the Off Topic forum (running contests, posting daily "Who's The Best" threads, being me. . .LOL)

Suggestion Box - for providing valuable contributions to the Suggestions thread

This wouldn't generate a ton of spam because a) it would be based on previous contributions, at least initially; b) "valuable" contributions could be one thread or series of threads, not 1000 worthless ones; and c) no one would know who got these accomplishments unless they chose to advertise the fact

Worth a thought.

First off, info society made me laugh more than IABs last comment in the first post in Trustworthy Users Get "Mod Powers".

On a serious note though, I would really like to see the Trivial Pursuit accomplishment implemented. I don't venture over to Off Topic too much but when I do there is almost always a sports pick'em run by bluegoldmaniac10 near the top. It has to take a lot of time to run one of those competitions over the course of a season and he really deserves a little recognition for his efforts

#34 2009-04-14 02:23:48

chekreyes
PM  Website

marv88harrison wrote:

RobNJ564 wrote:

Subjective Forum-Based Accomplishments. . .chosen by mods (perhaps periodically)

Information Society - for providing valuable contributions to the General forum (newbie help, being marvharrison, etc.)

Media Mogul - for providing valuable contributions to the Media forum (the top ten list guys, the radio show guys, etc.)

Trivial Pursuit - for providing valuable contributions to the Off Topic forum (running contests, posting daily "Who's The Best" threads, being me. . .LOL)

This wouldn't generate a ton of spam because a) it would be based on previous contributions, at least initially; b) "valuable" contributions could be one thread or series of threads, not 1000 worthless ones; and c) no one would know who got these accomplishments unless they chose to advertise the fact

Worth a thought.

First off, info society made me laugh more than IABs last comment in the first post in Trustworthy Users Get "Mod Powers".

On a serious note though, I would really like to see the Trivial Pursuit accomplishment implemented. I don't venture over to Off Topic too much but when I do there is almost always a sports pick'em run by bluegoldmaniac10 near the top. It has to take a lot of time to run one of those competitions over the course of a season and he really deserves a little recognition for his efforts

While I found all stuff like this clever, I dont think this is the goal with this new feature. I think accomplishments for the most part are intended to recognize players accomplishments on the court. He simply tossed in a few that are not. We still have have forum awards and such. Perhaps those can be expanded and made official. In this, I'd like to see people being recognized simply for having players play well (or not so well - lol). To stray too far from that will end up only rewarding those with the most time on their hands.

Last edited by chekreyes (2009-04-14 02:25:53)

Season 21 Jordan MVP

#35 2009-04-14 02:40:07

marv88harrison
Al Michaels
Retired Bullets
PM  Website

chekreyes wrote:

marv88harrison wrote:

RobNJ564 wrote:

Worth a thought.

While I found all stuff like this clever, I dont think this is the goal with this new feature. I think accomplishments for the most part are intended to recognize players accomplishments on the court. He simply tossed in a few that are not. We still have have forum awards and such. Perhaps those can be expanded and made official. In this, I'd like to see people being recognized simply for having players play well (or not so well - lol). To stray too far from that will end up only rewarding those with the most time on their hands.

Maybe this isn't the intended goal of the system but if maintaining a competition over the course of an entire season isn't an accomplishment on Court Rivals than really what is? 6 turnovers?

Quite frankly I don't think this system was a necessary addition and I could see it just creating another annoying comparison like post count. It is a fun little metric of how "experienced" a player is but I could see it having a negative effect. One way that I could see this definitely having a positive effect is adding some slight incentives for making a positive contribution to the forums/community. The media guys have their "Press Member" tags, why shouldn't bluegoldmaniac10 get a little something for his hard work.

As for rewarding the people with the most time on their hands I would just say that at least they made an effort to make a contribution.

#36 2009-04-14 02:41:46

chekreyes
PM  Website

My first suggestion is to tweak the points given. Winning the MVP of the entire league is worth the same as turning it over 6 times in one game. MVP is worth LESS than being the playground rebounding leader. You get two for "double vision" of 10 pts/ 10 assists in 10 games and only one more point to do it in 250 games! Also, you get one point for playing 5 seasons of pro and one point for 5 seasons of college. Shouldn't it be 2 points and 1 point?

Season 21 Jordan MVP

#37 2009-04-14 02:51:58

chekreyes
PM  Website

marv88harrison wrote:

Maybe this isn't the intended goal of the system but if maintaining a competition over the course of an entire season isn't an accomplishment on Court Rivals than really what is? 6 turnovers?

Quite frankly I don't think this system was a necessary addition and I could see it just creating another annoying comparison like post count. It is a fun little metric of how "experienced" a player is but I could see it having a negative effect. One way that I could see this definitely having a positive effect is adding some slight incentives for making a positive contribution to the forums/community. The media guys have their "Press Member" tags, why shouldn't bluegoldmaniac10 get a little something for his hard work.

As for rewarding the people with the most time on their hands I would just say that at least they made an effort to make a contribution.

Hey, I'm with you. I definitely think that people/things like this should be rewarded or acknowledged. I just think it should be through different means than this.

To answer your question though... No. Running some sort of mock draft on the off topic thread is not an "accomplishment". It is simply a good gesture in adding to the fun of the CR forums. Recording 6 tos is absolutely an accomplishment. By definition, accomplishments can be either positive or negative. And accomplishments relate to "how" someone does not "what" someone does such as in the case of the things that you and a few others have brought up.

I shrugged and went head in hands too when I saw this roll out. Another thing for vets to toot their horn with?! Yuck. But now in seeing it, i like it.... as long as it sticks to the definition of "player accomplishments". Recording a certain amount of double doubles, recording a triple double, being on a team with 35 wins, making a final four.... should be added to a players stat page. It's a great addition I think as long as it doesnt get too beat up.

Season 21 Jordan MVP

#38 2009-04-14 03:03:23

chekreyes
PM  Website

"Paint Sealer" - record 10 blocks and 15 rebounds in one game

Season 21 Jordan MVP

#39 2009-04-14 03:22:26

marv88harrison
Al Michaels
Retired Bullets
PM  Website

chekreyes wrote:

To answer your question though... No. Running some sort of mock draft on the off topic thread is not an "accomplishment". It is simply a good gesture in adding to the fun of the CR forums. Recording 6 tos is absolutely an accomplishment. By definition, accomplishments can be either positive or negative. And accomplishments relate to "how" someone does not "what" someone does such as in the case of the things that you and a few others have brought up.

I'm not talking about the mock draft threads, as far as I'm concerned those are garbage. I am talking about the pick'em competitions in which bluegoldmaiac10 selects games for the week, records everyone's picks, and updates standings on a weekly basis. Saying you are going to do that and then following through on that commitment over the course of an entire professional sport season is an accomplishment. Maybe this isn't the best system for rewarding such work but if you can give a system like this that has potential for such a polarizing effect a little guaranteed positive spin I think it should be included. Anyway, I know it won't be added so I'll retire on this point.

As for the turnovers, I don't really care what Merriam Webster has to say on the subject, to me an accomplishment is something you have to work for. In this case however the best possibility of achieving this "accomplishment" is to NOT train ball handling and passing. Maybe it is just me but I think that sounds messed up

#40 2009-04-14 03:30:10

chekreyes
PM  Website

marv88harrison wrote:

chekreyes wrote:

I'm not talking about the mock draft threads, as far as I'm concerned those are garbage. I am talking about the pick'em competitions in which bluegoldmaiac10 selects games for the week, records everyone's picks, and updates standings on a weekly basis. Saying you are going to do that and then following through on that commitment over the course of an entire professional sport season is an accomplishment. Maybe this isn't the best system for rewarding such work but if you can give a system like this that has potential for such a polarizing effect a little guaranteed positive spin I think it should be included. Anyway, I know it won't be added so I'll retire on this point.

As for the turnovers, I don't really care what Merriam Webster has to say on the subject, to me an accomplishment is something you have to work for. In this case however the best possibility of achieving this "accomplishment" is to NOT train ball handling and passing. Maybe it is just me but I think that sounds messed up

Ha! How can you call a pick em thread worthwhile and a mock draft thread garbage?  Maybe you're not as subjective or unbias as I thought. LOL.

And it's not about Miriam Webster. It's about the English language as a whole that 150+ million Americans alone speak. Running a pick em thread is not an accomplishment. Period. It's a cool thing. It's a fun thing. It's a good thing to promote site friendliness. It is no where the same level as recording a triple double, turning it over 6 times, or.... creating mad genius scripts to enhance a gaming simulation site.

On that, I too will retire. Take care.

Season 21 Jordan MVP

#41 2009-04-14 03:37:13

chekreyes
PM  Website

As I've mentioned, not at all a fan of managers accomplishments - think it should stay on the mvp/stat leader/stat blunder track.

But, if we must...

"Light Went Off" - Have a suggestion be implemented. 1 point.
"Mad Scientist" - Create technology that enhances the gaming environment. 2 points.

Season 21 Jordan MVP

#42 2009-04-14 03:45:21

marv88harrison
Al Michaels
Retired Bullets
PM  Website

chekreyes wrote:

Ha! How can you call a pick em thread worthwhile and a mock draft thread garbage?  Maybe you're not as subjective or unbias as I thought. LOL.

And it's not about Miriam Webster. It's about the English language as a whole that 150+ million Americans alone speak. Running a pick em thread is not an accomplishment. Period. It's a cool thing. It's a fun thing. It's a good thing to promote site friendliness. It is no where the same level as recording a triple double, turning it over 6 times, or.... creating mad genius scripts to enhance a gaming simulation site.

On that, I too will retire. Take care.

The mock drafts typically include 8 people and take 2 weeks or less. Over which time the creator sets the rules and badgers people to pick. On the other hand the bluegold's competitions have no limit on the number of people, develop friendships/rivalries/comradery, and takes many times more effort to organize.

I was simply outlining my perspective on what an accomplishment is not trying to start a war on English. I just don't think that rewarding something negative and not recognizing the contributions of some users seems backwards. I guess my dislike of this system is showing huh? Well, anyway, I'd like to appologize to bluegoldmaniac10 for apparently drawing some strange negative reaction to his hard work. Keep it up.

#43 2009-04-14 03:55:33

marv88harrison
Al Michaels
Retired Bullets
PM  Website

Anyway, sorry Kazz for hijacking your thread for a bit. I'll try to get it back on topic ...

Team Player - Record multiple points, rebounds, assists, steals, and blocks without a turnover - 1
Points-A-Plenty - Have every player on one line score in double digits - 1
We're taking our ball and going home - 0 turnovers for an entire team - 1
You should really stop giving me the ball - 0% shooting with atleast 5 FGA and atleast 3 TOs - 1 (I gave in and went negative hmm)
1-dimensional player - zeroes in everything except in one of the following: points, rebounds, assists, steals, or blocks - 1

Last edited by marv88harrison (2009-04-14 04:08:33)

#44 2009-04-14 05:19:22

piston fan
Grant Hill
EG10 Stars
Accomplishments: 25
PM

This kid has Potential score 20 points in your first season (quality or non quality) - +1

Great Customer-spend $50 on Court Rivals- +2

Excellent Customer-spend $50 in a season - +5

Never stop paying- spend $100 in a year - +5

Better Luck next year- play for the team with the worse record at the end of a season in pro - +1

http://www.courtrivals.com/images/sigs/6720.jpg
don't be hatin on us we can win anything

#45 2009-04-14 06:55:01

kevin07071994
PM  Website

Make the Playoffs your first season
Value : 1

There are really only two plays: Romeo and Juliet, and put the darn ball in the basket.
  -Abe Lemons
smile neutral sad big_smile yikes wink hmm tongue lol mad roll cool
http://www.courtrivals.com/images/sigs/15213.jpg

#46 2009-04-14 07:05:53

RobNJ564
PM

marv88harrison wrote:

RobNJ564 wrote:

Worth a thought.

I try to sing bluegold's praises any time the subject comes up.  Having run the NFL challenge which involved basically all the games being played on the same day, I know how much work is involved.  Running one for the NBA, where there are new games every day is like a full time job with overtime compared to my part time job with flex time.

http://www.courtrivals.com/images/sigs/4858.jpg

Get a different perspective on sports and pop culture. http://guysgirl.com/
Fight the Power.  Show Your Support.  http://occupywallst.org/

#47 2009-04-14 08:01:27

Sirvini
Andy "General" Sirianni
CR Oldstars
Accomplishments: 18
PM

Flopper- take more free throws than shots in a game- 1 pt.

http://www.courtrivals.com/images/sigs/17566.jpg
Andy Sirianni--Point Guard&Captain--Stout Blue Devils (Bird)
Snicker Doodle--Center--C.T.T.F. (Inaugural Jordan League Champions)

#48 2009-04-14 10:59:59

tarheelsunc
Banned
PM

Hole in One - Make and attempt one shot per game - 1

___     _    __      |    |  __  __          ___     |     |        __
   |     /_\  |__\    |__| |__ |__ |      /__       |     | |\ | /
   |    /    \ |   \    |    | |__ |__ |__  ___/      \__/  | \| \__
http://www.courtrivals.com/images/sigs/798.jpg

#49 2009-04-14 11:19:18

Urbanstien
The People's Mod
I . A. M. "Smokin URB" EVERYDAY
Arkansas SilverBacks
Accomplishments: 44
PM

SuperUrbdaganj- "high" scorer for your team in a season

Still getting High after all these years.....
Weed and OJ has kept me going for years
W&W is the way I roll, (Women & Weed)
http://www.freesportsbet.com/urb420.html

#50 2009-04-14 11:27:15

Jdog2313
S wish
Dog House
Accomplishments: 17
PM

Count it - Get fouled and a free throw attempt with each shot in a game
Value- +1