Court Rivals Forums

An open forum to discuss issues related to Court Rivals!

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-23 20:38:28

Renomitsu
Accomplishments: 0
PM

Genius?

I was recently given the following prompt:
Explain why you agree or disagree with Emerson’s assertion that “every young man [and woman] is born with some determination in his [or her] nature, and is a “potential genius””.

I was advised to write a brief answer to the prompt.

I responded thusly:
     The notion of ‘genius’ is a subjective one, if not a highly condescending one. Naturally, when one is observed to be a genius, expectations are raised almost unrealistically; as such, the idea behind ‘genius’ is truly only an epithet to cause stress – it is even, perhaps, a conceit-inducing one. While it is entirely possible that every human being can attain the intellectual status of ‘genius,’ it is again only an idiosyncratic discernment of one’s rational competence that can be entirely superficial based upon specialized comprehension in relatively constrained and indiscriminate areas of education.
    As to pertain to the former portion of Emerson’s quote, it is unobjectionable to believe that any given person has the resolve to attain the label of ‘genius’ – it is based exclusively upon one’s reputation consigned to one’s peers (and the associates thereof) as an intellectually precocious figure. While hypothetically a genius’s ideal properties might be one of conceptual thought and the ease of recalling verities, as are the quintessential parameters on which the edification structure is supposed to have sought and exploited in order to further accelerate one’s learning, these thoughts are oftentimes misconstrued and founded upon equally misconstrued observances or solitary acts that appear to be inimitable or were not anticipated of an individual. Discrepancies between potential and ‘actual’ genii can oftentimes be founded upon coincidence – thus showing that the quality of genius cannot be ‘attained’ - only ‘witnessed.’
    Thus, it is implausible to ascertain as to whether one is exceptionally intelligent or not, but the ‘potential to be acknowledged as a genius’ is almost uniformly disseminated amongst every constituent of humanity, and in this convoluted perspective Emerson’s position is acceptable. Perhaps one is considered to be a genius with intangible and largely tentative thought, but in the same sense it is perhaps because the most well-recognized societal occupations are those in which one is accommodated for during one’s ‘official’ edification, yet another component of modern society that Emerson would have been skeptical had he subsisted in contemporary society. And even so, because an unrealistically sophisticated philosopher only seldom appears, accuracy is valued above all.
     Hypothetically, had today’s hyper-institutionalized instruction-preoccupied society been based upon philosophical, metaphysical guidelines, an ever-increasingly higher level of idealistic thought would be needed to supersede previous, precedent-setting thinkers. Instead, the drab, vague thought of being able to replicate other philosophers’ proven ideas is valued beyond that of a ‘crazy,’ truly abstract, masterpiece.

What do you think of my position on this matter? Is it too abstract?

#2 2008-11-23 20:41:06

footsteps71
PM  Website

Re: Genius?

i wouldnt expect anything less from ya Reno.

I'm a different footsteps71. Deal with it.

http://www.courtrivals.com/images/sigs/3014.jpg                             
Golf and mudding don't cut it. Put a girl in it.

#3 2008-11-23 20:51:34

Renomitsu
PM

That's oddly ironic.

#4 2008-11-23 21:29:14

FastAsATurtle
PM

I like it. My only qualm is that instead of attacking Emerson's "everyone has some gift" claim, you seem to be defending a "true genius can often not be recognized, because genius is decided by peers, which encourages imitation of what they are familiar with to earn their respect." I can see where they sort of fit together, but your teacher (if this is for a class) might be looking for a "yes, everyone has a special talent!" vs "no, there are non-genius people and genius people! argument.

However, your take of "not everyone can be a genius because true genius is often not recognized as such by the people who tend to define genius" is very nice, and I believe quite correct.

Correct me if I got any of that wrong.

Back from the sea...but heading back out for a final rest.

wink

#5 2008-11-24 08:29:22

MichaelCoulthard
PM

My brain hurts

I'm too sexy for my shirt........
What Camel said......

#6 2008-11-24 09:39:52

leonxnoelnrysays
PM

your cool

#7 2020-09-14 04:07:21

hazihinic
PM

In this forum we can check a procedure of court rivals so that we have basic information about law policies. Writing more forums on StudyMoose review so that we can spread information through articles.

#8 2020-10-09 04:03:36

mukerubev
PM

This forum contains a lot of news and information that are about the court news, so you may also take some guidance about the court if you are interested. Court news is also available at 은꼴 and here so many professionals are also available to guide you.

Board footer